Inspired again by some great lean wardrobe blogs Style Bee and Un-fancy, I decided to join in on the Winter 10×10 happening next week. This isn’t my first 10×10 challenge and based on past experience I know I find it much more enjoyable if I alter the ‘rules’ a bit. Here’s how I’m going to to approach it:
- Select 7 – 9 items from my current wardrobe. I decided to select fewer pieces (which is why I decided to call it a remix instead of 10×10), but not include footwear or accessories. This gives me more options for changing the feel of an outfit. For example, jeans and a blazer with sneakers is totally different than jeans and a blazer with pumps. Plus….crazy weather.
- Wear 10 different outfits using only those items. This is the fun part. I’ve added a couple of new things to my wardrobe recently and I’m excited to ‘break them in’ with the 10×10. I also have been noticing I’m paying it a bit ‘safe’ in terms of creating new looks and trying new combinations, so I hope to push myself out of my comfort zone the next two weeks.
- Reflect on the outfits. What were my favorites and least favorites and more importantly, why? I always find value in identifying what I love to wear. Not only does it give me some great options on mornings I’m feeling less than inspired, but it really helps me avoid buying things that are going to end up hanging in my closet unworn.
What I’m Wearing
- Jamie + the Jones Tee Sweater (new): I bought this sweater in October on pre-order. It was definitely a big investment for me, but I loved the look of it, it got great reviews, and it was handwoven and sewn in Nashville. It was definitely a sweaty-palms as I hit ‘Submit Order’ moment, but I’m oh so glad I did. The sweater did not arrive until right before Christmas and I had no idea what I saw in store for when I opened the box. It is so soft and much heavier than I expected. I love that isn’t not a shocking white color, but much softer. And the texture…I can’t even describe how gorgeous it is. Oh, and it smelled good. Crazy, right?! Anyhow, I wore it both Christmas and New Year’s Eve and it was the first pick for my capsule.
- Brass Cropped Crew Sweater (new, bought as part of The Brass Edit): Another wardrobe investment I took the plunge on at the end of 2016 is The Brass Edit. I purchased The Edit in November (it was only available for a small window), which included a closet clean out kit, a wardrobe consultation, and 6 items from Brass over the course of 6 months. I have been lucky enough to work as a Brass Brand Ambassador for over six months, so I had some credit to spend and they were awesome and threw in an extra item, so I couldn’t resist. The Cropped Crew in Dune was my January selection. It’s soft, the knit is so yummy and I love adding a different length and cut to my sweater collection (I typically go for oversized fit). FYI, I ordered a medium – it definitely runs smaller than I expected, but it’s a great fit for the style.
- Old Navy Longline Cardigan (bought this fall): An easy layering piece, this was a no-brainer add to my mini capsule. I find that the longer length is great over dresses in winter months.
- Striped Tee (3.5 years old from Gap): I don’t think I’ve done a 10×10 without a striped tee or tank, so I didn’t want to break my streak 🙂
- Black Blazer (2.5 years old, H&M bought on Poshmark): I love all of the outfits I see with blazers, but I just never wear this one. I included it to force myself to wear it more and to see if I can figure out why I never reach for this out of my closet.
- The White Label Project Silk Dress (c/o about 7 months ago): I have worn this dress more than I ever expected (posted here and here). I always like to include at least one dress when I do a 10×10 because it’s a complete outfit in one piece, so it helps out my numbers ;). I am excited to find more ways to wear my dresses during the cold months.
7. Straight Leg Jeans (hand-me-downs): A basic cut of jeans in medium wash is always a mini capsule win.
8. Brass Ponte Pants (new, bought as part of The Brass Edit): This was the second (bonus) item from The Brass Edit this month. They are super thick ponte material. They have been made with a high, thick waistband which makes them very flattering. I ordered a small (size 6), which fits perfectly, but I will have to roll them and eventually have them altered to more of an ankle length (I’m 5’2″).
9. Gray Skinny Jeans (AG, bought 1.5 years ago on Thred Up): Last year these jeans were a closet workhorse for me, but I haven’t worn them much this year (I’m not sure why?). Anyhow, I decided they needed some love, so this is a perfect opportunity to bring them back into the rotation.
I’ll be sharing my looks daily on Instagram, but I’ll do a couple of posts over the next two weeks here to share more about my mix-and-match looks. If you’re even kind of considering doing the 10×10 I highly recommend you take the plunge. It’s not supposed to be serious or scary, and it’s so fun to see how much can be done with so few items. Head into your closet, pick 10 of your favorite items (maybe exclude shoes like I did, if it’s too daunting?), take #ootd pics each day (share if you want, but if not, they’re so helpful to look back at and see what you did/didn’t like), and have fun!
Need some inspiration?
Here are some other bloggers taking part: Andrea at Seasons and Salt.
Check out #winter10x10 #stylebee10x10 and #winterremix for some outfit inspiration on Instagram.